History

Mill and dam at the beginning of the XXth century In 1876 Gaultier-Vaudion, a miller and owner of two mills in the commune of Saint Georges sur Cher asks the Minister of Pubblic Works for the authorisation to build a mill on the left bank of the canalized Cher River, in order to ue the fall of the dam built in 1840.

Moulin et barrage en 1950 The agreement was given in 1878 and the miller obtained the approval of the engineer to operate its mill in 1883.
The mill was able to develop 50 horsepower.

The mill in 1970 In 1888 the mill was sold to Honoré Bourdonneau who sold it again n 1903 to Octave Farineau. The mill was in function under the Farineau family until 1963.
It was however burnt in October 1940 and was rebuilt in 1947.

The mill today In 1967 the mill became the property of the town of Romainville which transformed it in a holiday place and which realized the wooded park. In 1983 the structure became a hotel-restaurant named “La Roue à Aube” (the water wheel) and in 1988 it became a rest house “La Résidence des Cèdres” (Residence of the cedars).

The water wheel In July 2005 Isabelle and Thierry Moreau become the new owners and gave the mill its original name. Today only the spectacular water wheel is remaining of the original structure.

Contact

Guest rooms and houses in Touraine near Chenonceaux and Amboise
Bed and breakfast and self-catering accommodation in French Loire Valley